The senior leadership team at VMI works closely together to ensure the safety, well-being, and success of cadets, faculty, and staff. They have a strong understanding of the history, traditions, and goals of VMI. Each senior leader lives on post, in a row of historic residences that includes the Superintendent’s Quarters, and is deeply involved in the Institute’s day-to-day operations.
- Superintendent: Equivalent to a college or university president, the superintendent is hired by the Board of Visitors and works with that governing body to determine policies and procedures for ensuring Institute success.
- Dean of the Faculty: The dean of the faculty, who also serves as deputy superintendent for academics, oversees the Institute’s academic operations and leads the faculty.
- Deputy Superintendent for Finance and Support: The deputy superintendent for finance, administration, and support oversees a broad spectrum of non-academic operations, including the treasurer, comptroller, auxiliary services, planning, physical plant, human resources, infirmary, counseling, police, museum system, post engineer, and construction.
- Commandant: The commandant is responsible for the daily military regimen of the Corps of Cadets, continuously creating challenging leadership and training experiences that reinforce cadet success.
- Chief Diversity Officer: The chief diversity officer guides the strategic direction of the Institute’s diversity, equality, and inclusion initiatives.